This cake was one that my mother obtained from a British cookbook. As I was going through my recipe box I realized I did not have this recipe so I promptly called her up and she was happy to give it to me. When making it I realized that the cake was really dense and made thin layers and was more of a torte.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For cake, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time beating after each.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Add extract.
- Pour batter into two prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before icing.
- For icing, cream butter.
- Add powder sugar and extract and whip until fluffy.
- Place chopped walnuts on waxed paper.
- When cake is completely cool, ice the middle and sides.
- Pick up cake holding the top and bottom between hands and roll the sides in the chopped walnuts.
- Finish the top with icing and garnish with walnut halves.