Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Another recipe yet untried, but sounding quite good.
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups puff crispy rice cereal, partially crushed (recommended Rice Krispies)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream, well-chilled
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 1⁄2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, shavings (shaved with a vegetable peeler from a bar of chocolate)
- Make Crust: Cook sugar in a dry small nonstick skillet over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar is melted into a deep golden caramel, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, then immediately stir in cereal and quickly transfer to springform pan, spreading evenly over bottom and smoothing top with back of a small spoon. (If using pie plate, press crust up side of plate slightly.).
- Sprinkle chopped chocolate evenly over warm crust to melt, then spread melted chocolate with back of spoon to cover crust. Cool until chocolate is hardened.
- Make Filling: Dissolve instant coffee in 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl, then stir in gelatin and let stand.
- Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1 cup milk in a 1 1/2 to 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly (this will take about 15 minutes; 1 percent milk curdles easily if heated too quickly). Continue to simmer, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then add gelatin mixture, chocolate, brown sugar, and rum, whisking until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water. Cool filling, whisking constantly (so gelatin doesn't set unevenly), just to room temperature, 3 to 5 minutes, then pour over crust in pan. Chill, covered, until set, about 3 hours.
- Make topping: Beat cream with brown sugar using an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Dissolve instant coffee in rum and fold into cream.
- Spread evenly over chilled custard, then run a thin sharp knife around edge of "pie" and remove side of pan. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Cooks' note: If using a pie plate, do not unmold.