I found this recipe in Biscuits and Scones by Elizabeth Alston. It sounds really good and I hope to try it soon.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put hazelnuts in a baking pan with sides and bake for 15-20 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice, until the skins split and the nuts are lightly browned.
- Pour the nuts into a dish towel; gather the towel around the nuts and rub them hard through the towel for a minute or so to loosen the skins.
- Pick out the nuts and coarsely chop in a food processor or by hand with a chef's knife.
- Turn oven up to 425 degrees F.
- While the nuts are toasting, measure milk and stir in the instant coffee.
- Put flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl; stir to mix well.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine granules.
- Add sugar and hazelnuts; toss to distribute evenly.
- Stir milk mixture; pour into the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop 1/4 cupfuls of dough and place about 2-inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until the dough colors but does not get dark brown.
- Put scones on a dish towel on a wire rack; cover loosely with the cloth and let cool 1 to 2 hours before serving.