Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These moist and flavorful coffee cake muffins can be enjoyed any day of the week. Taken from Everyday Food.
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature plus more for pans
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Prepare streusel topping:
- In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour, and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare muffins:
- Butter and flour a jumbo 12-cup muffin tin (or two 6-cup muffin tins).
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- With mixer on low, beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Divide half the batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Top with half the streusel mixture, then remaining batter, and top with streusel.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Yummy! Made as written and everyone enjoyed them. I didn't add the optional confectioners sugar.
These were great. I made 2 batches for an after church fellowship. I made the jumbo muffins and everyone loved them. I was asked when I was going to make them again! Made for Football pool 09/10.
This was so simple! I made the batter and the topping last night, stuck them in the fridge and then let them come to room temp for about 15 minutes before baking up fresh muffins for DH to take to work this am. I made about 36 mini muffins and they cooked for about 17 minutes :) Thanks for posting! Made for Holiday Tag 2009!