Recipe by mollypaul
A lovely, light, coffee-flavored cream pie. Chilling time not included in preparation time. From the Wisconsin Dutch Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup brewed coffee, strong
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell, baked (either store bought or your own recipe)
- whipped cream, lightly sweetened (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Heat cream and coffee together; add gradually to cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook in double boiler until thick and smooth, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Pour part of mixture over egg, blending thoroughly.
- Return to double boiler and cook for two minutes longer.
- Cool and add vanilla extract.
- Turn into baked pie shell and pile high with lightly sweetened whipped cream.