Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
...and sprinkled with lemon, yummy!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 lb cod, cut into 4 equal portions
- 1 large tomatoes, cut in 4 thick slices
- 1 lemon, cut in 6 wedges
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill (or 1 teaspoon fresh dill)
- Season cod with salt and pepper and squeese 2 lemon wedges over; set aside.
- Spray nonstick frypan with veggie spray, heat over high heat, add mushrooms, fennel and onion, reserving 4 onion slices. Cook stirring until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Place the 4 pieces of cod on top of the veggies; place one slice of tomato on top each piece of cod and one slice of reserved onion slices on top of tomato. Sprinkle with Dill and squeese 2 more wedges of lemon over all; cover and simmer until cod is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining lemon wedges and sprigs of fennel leaves.
This recipe was easy and attractive, and the vegetable part of it tasted very good. However, I think cod is the wrong fish for the recipe. The veggies and seasonings are so sweet that I personally would prefer a fish with sweeter flesh than cod -- the cod tasted almost sour compared to the sweet veggies. I'd like to make it again, maybe with grouper or some other sweet fish. Alternatively, the veggies alone would make a very nice side dish!
This is an excellent way to prepare Cod. I made this last night for my boss's and they were thrilled with the results. You got a resounding 5 stars from both of them. Delicious! I did everything exactly as the recipe stated, except I left out the onions as the Mr. is alergic. I was rewarded with delicious, MOIST pieces of cod, full of flavour. Thanks very much for posting the recipe. I only regret that I did not have my camera with me so was unable to take pictures.