Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is so good, a nice change from pineapple upside down cake... All it needs is a dollop of whipped cream on top. Serve it warm or cold (I prefer it warm topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip).
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- whipping cream (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan (greasing well on the bottom).
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup butter, 2 cups coconut and brown suagr; press into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- In a seperate bowl,cream 1/4 cup butter and white sugar until fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add in eggs; beat well.
- Sift/mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
- Add in half and half and vanilla; beat for about 5 minutes on high speed.
- Spread the cake batter over the coconut mixture in the pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cake is golden brown, and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean when inserted in center of the cake.
- IMMEDIATELY invert pan on a serving dish/plate.
- Serve with a topping/dollop of whipped cream.