Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained (reserve juice)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- maraschino cherry, halves
- 1 (18 ounce) box pineapple cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Pineapple Cake Mix) or (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Pineapple Cake Mix)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (use part reserved pineapple juice)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in bundt pan in oven.
- Spray cooking spray on the parts of the pan that aren't covered by the melted butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter.
- Place maraschino cherries on top of sugar.
- Spread crushed pineapple over all.
- Mix cake ingredients according to the package directions regarding time and mixer speeds.
- Pour cake mix over topping ingredients in pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Test for doneness, knife or toothpick inserted should come out clean.
- Immediately invert onto serving platter and remove pan carefully so none of the topping stays in the pan.
- Cool completely before serving.
I'm a beginner when it comes to baking. I baked this cake for Mother's Day tomorrow and we had a power outage in the neighborhood with 26 minutes left for the cake to bake (bundt pan). I panicked! The power was out for close to 20 minutes and the cake was still moist in the center so I kept on cooking and just readjusted my time. This cake is not hard to make! I'm not sure what happened with the other poster's whose cakes didn't turn out but mine survived and rised even when the worst thing known to man could happen in baking. It's beautiful! I followed the directions exactly and had no problems and it's hot as can be here today in Texas. I took a nibble of it and it tastes so delicious. The pineapple juice that I reserved from the crushed pineapples gave the batter such a good flavor. This is a keeper. I Love Easy!
This cake was so easy! I've never made a Pineapple Upside Down Cake before, but I made this as a gift for someone's birthday. I used 1 1/4 cups of pineapple juice (no water), 4 T. butter and added 2 T. brown sugar to the 1/2 cup in the recipe. Even though I sprayed the sides well, when I inverted the bundt pan, most of the siding stuck to the pan. It may just be my pan, but I would suggest making sure you spray very well. It still looks really nice, and now I know how it tastes because I ate the leftover siding still stuck in the pan! It's great!
My family loved this recipe! The cake went FAST!!! The only change I made to the recipe was to cook the brown sugar and butter in a sauce pan per other folks suggestions. Mine turned out a little "small" but I've been having problems with my oven temp so that could be it. I'm going to try cooking it with the pinapple juice instead of water next time. Anyway... It was quick, easy and DELICIOUS! Highly recommend!
I can sum this recipe up with one word...WOW! I made it for Thanksgiving day dessert and my husband and I had to practice a LOT of restraint to not eat it the night before! The only change I made was to use 3 tablespoons of butter instead of the recommended 2 and I used a yellow cake mix, since I couldn't find pineapple. This cake is simple AWESOME!!!