This recipe was posted in the Houston Chronicle. It's so quick and easy to make, you can even do it on a busy week night. The cook time indicated is really the chill time.
- In a medium-size saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, tapioca and eggs.
- Mix thoroughly and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast coconut in a dry skillet over high heat, stirring constantly until golden brown.
- Pour onto a plate to cool.
- Cook tapioca mixture over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and mix in vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Set saucepan in a bowl of ice water and stir filling until cold, about 4 minutes.
- Whip cream in a medium bowl until stiff.
- Carefully fold filling into whipped cream until mixed.
- Spoon into pie shell and sprinkle edges with toasted coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes, then serve.
Very good easy-to-make pie that we all enjoyed. I also liked the detailed directions in this recipe and I will be able to use some of the cooking hints in future recipes.
A really, really good cream pie. The tapioca was a good thickening agent for the cream, and the kids loved eating the little 'eyes'. A hit here.
Nice little pie. We enjoyed the mixture of flavors. Made for ZWT7.