Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can also be made as a chocolate coconut slice. One for the lunchbox or with a nice cup of tea or coffee. Ice/frost with your favourite lemon icing for plain version or chocolate icing/frosting for the chocolate variation.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 4 ounces butter (125g butter, melted)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Sift together the self raising flour and salt (and cocoa if using) into a bowl.
- Add the sugar, coconut, and melted butter.
- Mix well.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and milk (and vanilla if using).
- Spread mixture into a slice tin and bake in a moderate oven 350'F/180'C for 25-30 minutes.
- When cold ice/frost with either lemon or chocolate icing/frosting.
- Sprinkle some extra coconut over top of icing/frosting if liked.
- Cut into bars or squares.
A nice moist slice, easy to make and I used the frozen chocolate icing I had left over from birthday cakes (reheated in the microwave), which made the whole thing even easier. I think some walnuts in the mix would work well too.
I found this Recipe fantastic. Like most people we operate on a tight budget and I try to find different recipes to make for the kids to take to school. The fact that my son is an Insulin Dependant Diabetic makes it all the more difficult. This slice is nice and light to the taste and light on my son's Diabetes too!
I've been looking for a simple recipe for my daughter to make for her dad and you have help tremendously. Thanks