Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
Make and share this Coconut Shrimp With Orange Marmalade Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon jamaican jerk spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened shredded wheat cereal, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 24 large tail-on shelled shrimp (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- Crisco shortening, for deep frying
SWEET ORANGE MARMALADE SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup smucker's orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- Combine flour, cornstarch, jerk seasoning and paprika in a shallow bowl.
- Pour coconut milk into a second bowl.
- Combine the shredded wheat and shredded coconut in third bowl.
- Lay out cooling racks and place waxed paper underneath them to catch drippings.
- Working in assembly line fashion, hold each shrimp by the tail, coat with the flour mixture, dip into the coconut milk and coat with the crushed wheat/coconut mixture. Place shrimp on a rack and repeat process until all shrimp are coated.
- Melt enough Crisco shortening to equal 2 inches in a deep frying pan, or use an electric deep fryer half filled with shortening; heat to 350. (365 for electric fryer).
- Fry 6 or 8 shrimp at a time, for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Bring oil back to 350 (365 for electric fryer) before frying each batch.
- As each batch finishes, drain shrimp on a paper towel before transferring to a serving platter.
- Serve hot or warm with orange marmalade sauce.
- Orange Marmalade Sauce:.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Place mixture in a small serving bowl and set aside.