This rice has a mild coconut flavor. I served it with Macadamia Nut Chicken Breasts #30291 and a Thai red curry sauce. It was a perfect combination.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- Add the rice, ginger and salt.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While waiting, heat the shredded coconut in a skillet, toasting it lightly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the rice has cooked for 20 minutes, fluff it with a fork and throw out the ginger root.
- Toss with toasted coconut.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro just before serving.
This was AWESOME!! Loved this special side dish, coconut milky flavor, the toasted coconut made this recipe outstanding. Served this with grilled fresh pineapple and grilled ham steaks. A meal to remember. Thank You!
This is a nice, unique side dish and very easy to prepare. I think next time (there will definitely be a next time!) I may use half coconut milk and half water as the flavor stood out a bit more than I had anticipated, even with light coconut milk. I tossed some golden raisins in at the end for added color and texture. My 2 yr old, in particular, really liked it. I would like to try it with some curried chicken but was needing a vegetarian dinner tonite so paired it with Sue L's "I Can't Wait for Chole" and it worked well. Will be making it again. Thanks!