Coconut Cilantro Rice With Peas and Cashews
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1⁄3 cup roughly chopped cashews
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- In a large stock pot, over medium-high heat, add the coconut and lightly toast. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the oil and the rice and saute until the rice is just starting to brown, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and the coconut milk and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, cashews and peas. Season with salt and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with the toasted coconut and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Although this time around I did pretty much follow the recipe (& loved every bit of it!) I'd try it with some homemade vegetable stock 'cause I know my vegetarian son & DIL would really enjoy it! I often add peas to the rice sides I prepare, but nothing as elaborate AND tasty as this one! Definitely a winner & a keeper! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
A simple and delicious rice, easily prepared, lots of interest in the contrasting tastes and textures of nuts, peas and the underlying coconut sweetness. I omitted the actual coconut garnish, but love the flavour of coconut milk, we loved the addition of cilantro. Oh, and I used vegetable stock. A good complement to curry dishes, and I would enjoy this by itself! Thank you swissms, lovely!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking for family and friends. I especially enjoy baking...it is like combining art and science to create something extraordinary. I am most known for making desserts like Recipe #336060. My pet peeve: when people sign-up to bring dessert to a pot-luck or dinner party and they bring something pre-made from the store. My friends and family now know to always let me bring the dessert. :) I enjoy traveling and believe that one of the best ways to experience a culture is through food. I have lived in Germany, Spain and Switzerland, and currently live in the US. My rating system: 5 stars - Excellent! Delicious! Could not be better...will make often. 4 stars - Very good! May tweak slightly. 3 stars - Good base recipe. Will need to tweak. 2 stars - Ok. Will keep looking. Cooking Contests & Games: <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/snow-queens-sm.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">