Recipe by Missy Wombat
From Australian House and Garden. A wine suggestion: a white wine with tropical fruit flavours eg a Sauvignon Blanc Semillon. I've also posted the dipping sauces.Prep and cooking times are guestimates only and probably on the longer side as I am really slow at deveining prawns!
- 1 1⁄2 kg green king prawns, peeled with the tails left on
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 180 ml cold water
- shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons flour (extra)
- vegetable oil (for deepfrying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Devein prawns and rinse quickly under cold running water, then flatten very slightly with the heel of your hand.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Sift flour, salt and cornflour into a bowl.
- Add vinegar and water and mix to a smooth batter.
- Spread coconut on a flat plate.
- Dust prawns lightly with extra flour, then dip into the batter.
- Allow the excess to run off then coat with coconut.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep frying pan and test for the correct temperature with one prawn (oil should not be too hot or the coconut will burn before the prawn cooks).
- Cook prawns in batches and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot, accompanied with lime wedges and dipping sauces such as Yoghurt and Mint Sauce or Chilli Plum Sauce.