Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was looking online for a coconut pound cake that used coconut milk and came across one that was similar to the one that I wanted. However, I made quite a few changes and I believe that it has been perfected :-) This pound cake has a wonderfully rich coconut flavor b/c it uses coconut milk. The coconut milk and coconut are both un-sweetened, so you may add a little more sugar if you'd like, but this recipe is great even if you don't have a "sweet tooth". ADDITIONAL NOTES: After readin some of the reviews, I tried this same recipe and added a "Brown suger Toasted Coconut Glaze". It makes it even better. See below
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Optional Brown Sugar-Toasted Coconut Glaze
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, toasted
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- Preheat over to 325 degrees.
- Greese and flour 1 loaf pan, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix softened butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- In a seperate small bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and shredded coconut.
- Add eggs, one at a time into butter/sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Add vanilla, then add coconut milk, alternating with flour/coconut mixture (this will prevent lumps).
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 1 - 1 1/4 hours.
- If you wish to use the glaze, heat a sauce pan to medium high heat, add butter and brown sugar. Stirring constantly, once brown sugar has dissolved add the toasted coconut, vanilla and if desired 2 TBSP coconut milk. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool. Stir just before pouring over cooled cake.
I came searching for this recipe due to another recipe I tried but was a disaster! I wanted to make a coconut cranberry trifle. The recipe for the cake part was horrible! so I found this one and it was wonderful! I did change out the vanilla extract for coconut extract to give the pound cake a more coconuty taste. Layering theses chunks of pound cake with a home made coconut pudding/custard and a from scratch cranberry sauce was fantastic with the dessert Ice wine I served, try it with Jana Angel Eis by Scott Harvey.
I found this recipe to be a very good one. I used this pound cake for stawberry shortcake. It was great! I used the low fat coconut milk, and I did add a cup of coconut. Plus I added coconut flour 1/2 c. It was very very good! This is a recipe to be made often!!! Thank you very much for sharing it with us! YUM!
This cake is excellent. I increased the recipe by 25% for a sheet cake size. I also replaced 1/2 cup of flour with coconut flour. Excellent. I left it without the glaze. It is yummy. I'll do it again. thanks