Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an australian ice cream recipe taken off the Food Network for the Zaar World tour contest. Sorry but i don't know any Australian recipes by myself and don't think anyone can find kangaroo to grill outside of Austrtalia!!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 15 ounces coconut cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2⁄3 cup candied ginger, cut in small cubes
- 2⁄3 cup macadamia nuts, pieces
- Heat milk, cream, and fresh ginger in pan over medium heat. As it begins to boil, take off heat, and strain ginger out. Return mixture to pan.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolk with the sugar and then beat in the coconut milk, salt,and coconut cream. Slowly add this mixture to the hot mixture while stirring. Put on burner on low and cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Chill in the fridge or freezer until very cold. Put in ice-cream maker and follow directions. Add the nuts and candied ginger just before putting the finished mixture into the freezer for final chilling.
Fabulous! We halved the ginger and then just left it in rather than straining it out. Also threw in some ginger syrup and pieces instead of the candied ginger. Overall, it resulted in a great strong ginger flavour on top of a creamy coconut base.