- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 inches piece ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs (boneless or skinless, cut into quarters)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk (Don't Shake!!!!)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 cup frozen vegetables, of your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients from the spice blend together and set aside.
- In a mini food processor, combine garlic, ginger and onion and pulse until it forms a paste.
- In a heavy skillet, heat coconut oil and melt butter. Add pureed aromatics and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, then add spice blend. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Move aromatics to one side of the skillet and add chicken pieces to the pot. Cook chicken slightly on all sides, using a sturdy wooden spoon to move it around the pot. It should get thoroughly coated with the spice mixture. Transfer chicken and remaining spices/juices to the crock pot.
- Open the cans of coconut milk and remove the cream from the top using a soup spoon. You should have about 1 cup of coconut cream. Pour the coconut milk over the chicken; it should just barely cover the chicken.
- Place the slow cooker in the base and cook on low for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours of cooking, whisk cornstarch with coconut cream until smooth and add to the chicken. Stir well.
- Add frozen vegetables of your choice. Cook for another half an hour or until you deem the vegetables hot.