Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Very good brownies!
For the brownies
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Coarsely chop chocolate.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, combine flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, add eggs, cocoa and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; mix to combine.
- Stir nuts and chopped chocolate into batter.
- Spread batter in prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream and brown sugar.
- Bring to boil and cook until mixture register 242 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Whisk in butter until fluffy.
- Spread topping over brownies.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.