Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
Little pie company version
- 2 1⁄3 cups milk
- 3 large eggs plus one egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded fresh coconut or 1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- lightly bake a 9" pie shell.
- preheat oven to 425.
- in saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge.
- in a medium bowl beat eggs and yolk unil just combined, then stir in the canilla, sugar and salt. Slowly stir in the warm milk, being careful NOT to create bubbles!
- with a spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the shredded coconut. at a work space near the stove, pour the filling into the pie shell. Pake the pie for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce heat to 350 and bake about 20 minutes until done -- center will be soft, but a knife inserted 1 1/2 inches from the edge should come out clean.
This pie was super simple! I gave it four stars because it did not include the amount of sugar to use -- I added 2 TBSP but will probably add 3 next time. I only had skim milk on hand so it was not as creamy as I would have liked, next time I will use whole milk. I also did not fold the coconut into the custard but instead evenly sprinkled it over the top once already in the pie shell and shimmied the pan until all the coconut was submerged. It was nice to bite into pure custard with a layer of coconut on top.