Recipe by Melvin'sWifey
Doesn't this sound good? Found this recipe on ex-designs website and it says it's a Filipino dish! I can't wait to try this... please let me know if you do first! Might be good with some tortilla chips or jasmine rice...
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 5 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut crosswise into 1/2 strips (skinless, boneless)
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt (regular or fat-free, if you do not like spicy food) (optional)
- 20 tortillas (flour or corn)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in wok or 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, gingerroot and garlic; stir-fry about 5 minutes or until onions and garlic are golden brown.
- Stir in tomato sauce, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt, ground red pepper and turmeric; reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until a thin film of oil starts to form on surface of sauce. (The longer sauce simmer, the more oil will form.) Remove from heat; cool 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place sauce in blender. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth. Return sauce to saucepan.
- Stir chicken into sauce. Simmer uncovered 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is partially cooked.
- Stir in vinegar and coconut milk. Simmer uncovered 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Beat yogurt with wire whisk until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Cook uncovered 1 minute, stirring occasionally, just until yogurt is warm. Serve warm with torillas.