Walnut Veggie Tacos
I found this at www.walnuts.org whilst searching for new and interesting uses for walnuts. I can't wait to give it a try!! They also suggest that this mixture makes a great taco salad.
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (or 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (half of a 1.35-oz. packet )
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 taco shells (or 6 flour or corn tortillas)
- Heat tomatoes and zucchini in a wide skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered 3 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons water, black beans and corn.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts. Let stand 1-2 minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Serve in taco shells or soft tortillas with choice of condiments like lettuce, cheese, sour cream, or avocado slices.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Great lunch! We love all of the ingredients and love how it came together. Used white corn taco shells, and 6 shells accounted for about half of the mixture, so we look forward to having more tomorrow. DH asked "Where's the meat?" to which I replied, "Walnut meat!" I used finely chopped walnuts, which seemed a good choice for this recipe. This was more satisfying to me than ground beef tacos, plus I love the high fiber and veggies. Made for Veggie Swap 36 July 2011.