Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was adapted from Cook's Illustrated...It is the absolute best...
- 5 tablespoons coconut
- 10 graham crackers, broken
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups whipped cream
- preheat oven to 325*.spread 5 tbls coconut in pie plate and toast 9 minutes, stir a couple of times --.
- When cool enough to handle, reserve 1 tbls for topping --.
- Pulse graham crackers, 4 tbls toasted coconut, till fine crumbs form.
- Transfer to a bowl, add sugar and melted butter, toss.
- Place crumbs in pie plate and form.
- Bake 22 minutes and cool on rack.
- Bring coconut milk,milk, shredded coconut, 1/3 cup of sugar and salt to simmer in pan over medium high heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon, when it simmers, whisk egg yolks, in medium bowl, to break up --.
- Then whisk in remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and the cornstarch, till combined.
- Whisk simmering liquid into yolk mixture, to temper, then return to pan, bring to simmer over medium heat, whisk constantly.till thickened.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter.
- Pour filling into cooled crust.
- Press sheet of plastic on surface.
- Chill 3 hours.top with whipped cream.
Coconut cream pie is so good! I made a regular pie crust instead of using graham crackers for the crust because that is what my husband prefers. A creamy and delicious pie!
im glad you posted this i love cooks ill. too they do a great job