Recipe by Irmgard
This cake is heaven on a fork and I only make it for very special occasions! You can bake it as a layer cake or as a sheet cake if you have a large number of people to feed. Frost with Angel Feather icing.
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- extra coconut, to sprinkle on cake after frosting
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter, add the sugar and beaten egg yolks and egg white; continue beating until fluffy.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt, mix with 1 cup coconut and add alternately with the milk and flavourings to the butter mixture.
- When smooth pour into a greased 9" x 13" pan or into two greased 8" round cake pans and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven- the flat pan for about 45 minutes, the layers about 30 minutes, but test both and don't overbake.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool; remove from pan and frost with Angel Feather Icing.
- Icing: Put everything but the vanilla into the top of a double boiler with fast-boiling water below.
- Start beating immediately with a rotary beater or electric mixer until the mixture stands in stiff peaks.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and keep on beating until it is thick enough to spread easily.