Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 eggs
- 750 g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced lengthwise
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
Chilli apricot chutney
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 400 g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- Make chilli apricot chutney: Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chilli flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add onion, apricot, sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chutney is thick.
- Meanwhile, place flour and coconut in separate shallow dishes. Lightly beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Preheat oven to 150°C Line a baking tray with paper towel. Coat chicken in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, followed by coconut, pressing coconut on with fingertips to secure.
- Fry in batches putting them in the oven on the baking tray until you are done.
Made it with fish (since the chicken was still frozen) it was delicious. I did not make the chutney so I can only review the coconut/flour coating, we loved it. I added lime before eating it and used a coconut/mango dip from whole foods...yum! I am looking forward to making it again and again, with chicken in the future. Very easy dish.
Delicious!!! Our whole family enjoyed it (2adults and 2littlekids). Great alone as an entree or served (like we did) with green beans and steamed jasmine rice. Tho we had SOOO much leftover so prob could have just done half quantities...
I have four words for this, darlin'. Keep your paws off! Made for A-NZ #38 Recipe Tag.