1/3 Photos of Coconut Cake With Fluffy Icing
1 hr 5 mins
What could be more satisfying than coconut cake with a lemon filling? I personally thought the filling was a bit tart and would probably cut down the lemon juice/zest a bit next time as I felt the tartness was a bit overpowering. I loved the frosting. It was nice and fluffy--kind of marshmallow like, but not as sweet as a marshmallow. This recipe is one of Art Smith's from O Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 grated lemons, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs, at room temperature separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk, well stirred
- 1For filling: In heavy saucepan, combine lemon juice and 1/2 cup water.
- 2Add cornstarch and whisk to dissolve.
- 3Add sugar, egg yolks, butter, lemon zest and salt.
- 4Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a simmer.
- 5Reduce heat to low and whisk 1 minute.
- 6Strain through a coarse sieve into a medium bowl.
- 7Let cool to room temperature, press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface and put in refrigerator until very cold.
- 8(Filling may be prepared up to 2 days in advance).
- 9To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly greaes and flour three 9-inch round layer pans.
- 10Line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 11In medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- 12In another bowl, cream sugar and butter with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 13Beat in egg yolks one at a time, then vanilla.
- 14On low speed, add flour in three 1-cup additions, alternating with two 1/2-cup additions of coconut milk.
- 15Begin and end with flour and beat until smooth, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula.
- 16In another bowl, beat egg whites (with clean beaters) on high speed until they form stiff peaks.
- 17Whisk 1/4 of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remainder.
- 18Spread mixture evenly in pans.
- 19Place in oven on center rack.
- 20Make sure pans don't touch each other and that they are not too close to sides of oven so air can circulate evenly around them.
- 21Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centers come out clean.
- 22Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- 23Invert and remove from pan and peel off parchment paper.
- 24Tun right sides up and cool completely.
- 25To make icing: In the top of a double boiler, combine sugar, egg whites,corn syrup, cream of tartar, and 1/3 cup water.
- 26Place over simmering water.
- 27Beat on high speed with handheld electric mixer until icing forms soft peaks, about 2 minutes.
- 28Remove from heat and beat in vanilla.
- 29Continue beating 5 minutes, or just until stiff peaks form.
- 30Place one layer upside down on serving plate.
- 31Spread with half of lemon filling.
- 32Place second layer on top, right side up.
- 33Spread with remaining half of filling.
- 34Add the final layer right side up.
- 35Spread icing over top and sides of cake.
- 36Press handfulls of coconut all over icing.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Cake With Fluffy Icing
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 945.4
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 233.6 mg
- Sodium 450.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 135.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 98.9 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of