Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
This recipe was part of a few hundred recipes my Aunt had collected from friends and family over the years. It caught my attention because I questioned how chocolate and molasses would team together. As I finished the dough and tasted it I knew I had come across a very unique and wonderful combination. I couldn't wait until they were baked. They were even better. Try adding a vanilla glaze to the top of the cookies and pipe it on in thin lines. It makes them pretty and even tastier!
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until it is light
- Add the molasses and egg; beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the baking powder and the cocoa to the creamed mixture; then add the flour.
- Pipe the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet in mounds a little larger than a quarter.
- Bake 9 minutes or until set.
- Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Drizzle a Vanilla glaze in thin lines over the top of each cookie.
- For Vanilla Glaze: Stir together 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl until mixture is smooth and of drizzling consistency. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla. Makes ½ cup.
These cookies were very soft, falling apart on me. too much molasses flavor with the cocoa. I did not like the mix. I thought I would. Sorry :(
YUM! These remind me of Russell Stover molasses chews. They are a sophisticated cookie and pack in quite a punch using minimal amounts of ingredients. I added 1/4 tsp salt to offset the molasses. This is now one of my cookie favorites- quite special. My teenagers loved them.
Excellent cookies. Nice short recipe list which didnt include baking soda as i was out. The taste was remarkably great. Not too sweet at all but definitly not lacking in flavor. Texture was soft and chewey. I made two batches; one with the cocoa and one without. Both were excellent. Used all organic ingredients and found the recipe to be very easy to follow. Thank you for sharing!