Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
From "This Can't be Tofu!" by Deborah Madison.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno chile, diced, seeds left in for more heat (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro stems, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable broth
- five-spice powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups mustard greens, stems discarded and leaves cut into ribbons
- 1 (12 -15 ounce) box silken tofu or 1 (12 -15 ounce) box soft tofu, cubed
- 2 scallions, diced
- soy sauce, to taste
- heat vegetable oil and half of sesame oil in soup pot. when hot, add garlic, ginger, chile, and cilantro. stir-fry for 2 minutes. add broth, five-spice powder, and salt. bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. strain and return to the pan, or simply lift out the chopped flavorings with a small skimmer. press out as much liquid as you can, then discard.
- add sweet potatoes to the pot and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- add greens and tofu. cook gently, uncovered, until the greens are bright and tofu is hot, about 5 minutes. add scallions. taste for salt and add remaining sesame oil. add soy sauce to taste, if dish seems to need a little extra punch.