Zwiebelsuppe (Clear German Onion Soup )
- Ready In:
- 150 g onions, peeled,thinly sliced into rings
- 150 g red onions, peeled,thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 1 liter chicken broth
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 30 g shredded parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- fresh marjoram, to garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Saute garlic slices and chopped marjoram 2 minutes.
- Add the onion slices and cook about 5 minutes (or longer if you like them very soft).
- Add wine and broth and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes at a gentle simmer (bubbling, but not boiling).
- Meanwhile, heat up your broiler and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Using a 6 cm round biscuit cutter, cut bread slices into rounds (discard excess)- you may also use a glass.
- Set bread rounds on foil lined pan and sprinkle with cheese and broil only about 1 minute- just to melt cheese.
- Test soup- season well with salt and pepper.
- Soup is ready when onions are tender- broth will be very clear& pinkish in color.
- Ladle into bowls and float a bread round on top of each bowlful, garnishing with some extra fresh marjoram if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation