Authentic German Onion Pie (Schwabischer Zwiebelkuchen)
- Ready In:
- 375 g flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 15 g yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 liter milk
- 60 g soft butter (not directly out of fridge but warmed a little)
- 50 g ham, in cubes
- 50 g butter
- 1 kg onion, slices
- 3 eggs
- white pepper
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1 teaspoon cumin or 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Put flour into a bowl, add sugar, make a dent in the middle where you put the yeast.
- Add the sugar and a little of the milk and mix well.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes (cover bowl with towel).
- Add the rest of the milk and mix well again.
- Let rest for another 30 minute.
- Roll dough and put on a baking plate.
- Make a raised edge of the dough.
- For the topping: fry the ham in butter.
- Add the sliced onions and fry until they are soft and glassy.
- Mix eggs with pepper, salt, sour cream and cummin/nutmeg.
- Add to the onions.
- Put everything ontop of the dough.
- Bake for 30 min at 190°C.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was good! I mean, it is strange, being German myself, I have to search an American Site for a German recipe...The dough was a bit difficult, far to much milk, I was glad I did not add the whole amount but only 1/4 liter. This really was enough. I also had to skip the bacon, as we do not eat pork. I used bologna instead, just for some "colour". The topping was wonderful, creamy and very tasty. Will definitely make again, with less milk...