German Potato-Cheese Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 cups water
- 20 ounces chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small (large)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lb processed cheese (Kraft)
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- Peel and prepare vegetables.
- In a large cooking pot, add water, chicken broth, chicken soup base, black pepper, carrots, potatoes, onions and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stirring occasionally.
- Add celery, sweet red pepper and simmer for 5 minutes more. Gradually add mayonnaise to hot soup, whisking until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium and add processed cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese and simmer for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and soup is creamy; stirring constantly.
- Add instant mashed potatoes and stir well.
- Let soup sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- This soup is very rich, but good.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
- Serves 12
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Thanks for steering to this one Uncle Bill. Its outstanding! (as was expected). Took me a minute to understand the soup base ingredient. Essentially, I made 4 cups of chicken broth and then added 2.5 cups of veggie broth (or chicken broth if you choose). The cheese combination was perfectly balanced. Not overly cheesy... just well balanced. Next time I'm going to change the brand of instant potatoes I used (it made the texture a little grainy) but the soup was fabulous nonetheless. THanks. Dave (Grandma lives halfway around the country, no review yet from her)