Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
My mom and grandmother used to make baked beans every Saturday night. They never tasted as good as these (sorry mom!) which have a few additional ingredients to give them zip.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 12 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- Soak the dry beans overnight.
- Cook three of the bacon strips (in the microwave is quick and easy) and crumble.
- Mix beans, crumbled bacon, and the next 9 ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour into a dutch oven or bean pot.
- Cut up remaining three strips of bacon into 2 inch lengths and place on top of beans.
- Cook at 275 degrees for 7 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in additional V8, molasses or water as needed during the cooking time (check after 3 hours, then every 2 hours after.).
- Serve with classic brown bread cooked in the can.