Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is extremely simple and extremely tasty, classic French-American hybrid comfort food. Great in hot weather.
- 4 leeks
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Prepare and wash leeks thoroughly: remove roots and stems, keeping about three inches of the green part.
- Slice each leek vertically through the stems, leaving half an inch at the bottom so that the leek stays intact. Fan in a bowl of cold water and wash between the leaves. Chip to a medium consistency.
- Peel potatoes and chop roughly.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, melt butter and oil together over very low heat. Add leeks and sweat over very low heat for 20-30 minutes. They should be tender but not browned.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Process in a blender or food processor, or with a stick blender or food mill. You want a thick, velvety consistency.
- Add milk and stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve cold.