Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is that same cake that everyone seemed to make back in the '70's. Pillsbury discontinued their line of dry frosting mixes, and came up with their own revised version, which was NOT the same. I was thrilled to find this version in a food column from the "Minneapolis Star Tribune."
- 1 3⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 (7 1/4 ounce) packagesjiffy chocolate fudge frosting mix
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Measure 3/4 cup of the frosting mix for the chocolate glaze.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the remaining frosting mix and flour, mixing just until incorporated.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- The top of the cake will form a brownie like crust before it is done.
- Allow to cool for 60 minutes in the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.
- To make the chocolate glaze; Mix together reserved 3/4 cup frosting mix and 2 tablespoons boiling water, stirring until smooth.
- Thin with additional boiling water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Spoon glaze over the cooled cake.
While cooling it "fell" Did or has this happened to anyone else?
I have always wanted to try the Tunnel of Fudge Cake, but I was disappointed. It just wasn't all that chocolaty! I expected a lot more chocolate flavor in the cake. Thanks for sharing, though!
Yooper, I have my mom's "Rich 'n Easy Tunnel of Fudge Cake" recipe from the 70's on my desk as I type. I knew they discontinued the Pillsbury frosting mix, but didn't know that there was the Jiffy frosting substitute! This cake brings back so many memories for me, as a child, in my mom's kitchen. I LOVED this cake! It was so rich and fudgey and great served warm. Thanks for posting this recipe. I can make it now for my kids!