1 hr 23 mins
1 hr 3 mins
This traditional Mexican style flan is a luxurious baked custard, with a hint of canela-Mexican cinnamon and a rich caramelized topping. A classic! Makes a lovely special dessert that is similar to a creme brulee---a great finale to your favorite Mexican meal! (Note: Requires overnight chilling). Courtesy Ladies Home Journal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 325°F.
- 2Melt 1/2 cup sugar in small saucepan over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar becomes amber in color, 10 minutes (do not stir).
- 3Pour caramel into the bottom of a 5-cup souffle dish.
- 4Bring milk, cream, remaining 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon stick to boil in small saucepan over medium heat.
- 5Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, vanilla and salt in large bowl.
- 7Strain milk mixture through a sieve into eggs; whisk to combine.
- 8Discard cinnamon stick.
- 9Strain mixture again into prepared dish.
- 10Place dish in a roasting pan, making sure there is at least one inch of space between the edge of the dish and pan.
- 11Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come halfway up side of dish.
- 12Bake until custard is just set, 60 to 65 minutes (mixture will jiggle slightly, but that's okay).
- 13Remove flan from oven.
- 14Let flan cool in hot-water bath 15 minutes.
- 15Remove dish from water bath and cool completely on wire rack.
- 16Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 17To serve:.
- 18Run a knife around edge of baking dish.
- 19Place a serving plate slightly larger than dish on top.
- 20Invert flan onto plate. Makes 8 servings. Makes a luxurious finale to your favorite Mexican meal!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic Mexican Flan - Custard With Caramel Topping
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.8
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 132.5 mg
- Sodium 82.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g