Classic Mexican Flan
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 (5 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- In a small saucepan melt sugar over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is a dark, caramel-colored liquid.
- Remove from heat and pour into a 4 cup metal ring mold or 8 individual molds.
- Quickly turn mold to coat bottom and sides with the caramel.
- Let cool so caramel hardens.
- Heat oven to 325.
- Put the condensed milk, milk, eggs, egg yolks and flavorings into an electric blender.
- Cover and blend to mix well.
- Pour mixture into mold; put mold in a larger pan filled with water to depth of 1/2 inch.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and remove mold from water.
- Cool and then refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Cover mold with an inverted serving platter.
- Hold mold and platter together and turn them over.
- Lift off mold.
- Caramel will fall as a liquid sauce over the custard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is almost like my flan recipe that I was about to post. The only thing I do different is that I do not use the whole eggs, I use 6 yolks instead. I don't use the almond extract, just the vanilla, and I add about 1/2 cup more of milk (if not, it's too sweet for me.) And of course, i devour it within an hour of taking it out of oven, once it's just cool enough for me to eat. My family doesn't bother with the presentation, they just cut a piece out and spoon some caramel over it...haha!