Prep 10 mins
Cook 28 mins
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- nonstick cooking spray
- Cook macaroni according to directions. Do not add salt to the cooking water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the remaining ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This was so delicious, and I have made several macaroni and cheese recipes. I added chopped tomatoes and steamed broccoli before baking.
This recipe is very similar to a Weight Watchers macaroni and cheese recipe I used to make in the 1980's. I lost that recipe and have been looking ever since for a mac and cheese recipe that used the evaporated milk and egg and shredded cheese. This is delicious! My only suggestion is that for my taste, it needed a little salt before I ate it. Thanks, Chef 214039 for submitting this recipe.