1/2 Photos of Classic French Chicken in White Wine Sauce
1 hr 25 mins
By James Peterson, from Fine Cooking #31. Serve the chicken in wide soup bowls with egg noodles or rice, if you like, and the sauce spooned over all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 6 pieces (or 3-1/2 to 4 lb. chicken pieces)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces country ham, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (at room temperature)
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook it in the skillet on the skin side to brown it and to render the fat from the skin, about 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook on the bone side for about 5 minutes. Remove and reserve the chicken.
- 3Pour off all but 2 Tbs of the fat from the skillet.
- 4Add the onion, carrot, celery, and prosciutto or ham and sauté until the onion is browned and the vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5Add the wine and chicken stock to the skillet and stir to combine with vegetables.
- 6Put the chicken back into the skillet. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover the skillet with a lid, and simmer the chicken in the sauce until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 7Remove the chicken from the skillet, turn the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the volume of liquid by half, about 5 minutes (or 6 to 7 minutes if you want a thicker sauce). Add the cream, stir to combine, and remove the skillet from the heat.
- 8Transfer the chicken to wide soup plates; taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper if necessary and spoon it over the chicken. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Classic French Chicken in White Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.0
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 245.9 mg
- Sodium 336.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 52.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: