Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious, fattening, who cares!?
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Gradually add sugar to eggs in a large glass mixing bowl, whisking until blended. Set aside.
- Stir together half and half, milk, and salt in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 12-15 minutes or just until mixture begins to bubble around edges of pan (do not boil).
- Gradually stir half of hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Stir egg mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in Dutch oven.
- Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture slightly thickens and thermometer registers 160 degrees (about 30 minutes). Remove from heat and stir one minute. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a serving bowl. Stir inn bourbon, brandy, and vanilla; let cool 1 hour. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer unti soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into chilled eggnog, and sprinkle with nutmeg.