Recipe by Caryn
This baked ziti recipe is a simple Italian casserole dish that my family enjoys.
Top Review by Mille®
You know, I had never had baked ziti before - even eating out. I found this recipe when I was "on the prowl" for something totally different a couple of nights ago. Followed the recipe to a tee (except I subbed salt-free homemade meatless sauce and low-sodium chicken broth so that I could enjoy it without feeling guilty!) and BINGO! I was in business. Served it with a very crisp green salad topped with very spicy Greek olive oil dressing and my homemade sourdough croutons, and it was a meal to remember.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (32 ounce) jar meatless sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onions, and garlic over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is browned; stirring frequently.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, and oregano.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir 1 cup of the sauce into the cooked ziti noodles.
- Spoon 1/2 of the ziti mixture into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Top with 2 cups sauce, then remaining ziti mixture and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until heated through.