Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A robust red wine marinade adds depth of flavour to this rich and tasty chicken dish, ideal for entertaining. Time does not include marinating.
- 6 chicken breast fillets, skinless
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 7 ounces streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 9 ounces chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 25 g butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups red wine (ideally claret)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Put the chicken breasts into a sealable plastic bag and add in the brandy and crushed garlic.
- Seal the top of the bag and massage the flavours into the chicken for a minute. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Fry the bacon in a large, dry frying pan over high heat until crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and set to one side.
- Add the onion to any bacon fat in the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes over high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and cook the onion for about 20 minutes until soft.
- Remove the lid, turn up the heat and add in the mushrooms. Fry for 2-3 minutes, adding in the sunflower oil and butter.
- Reduce the heat, stir in the flour and slowly blend in the red wine and stock, stirring all the time.
- Bring to the boil, then stir in the tomato paste, soy sauce, redcurrant jelly, salt and freshly ground pepper and thyme.
- Boil the sauce for 3-4 minutes then set to one side until ready to cook the chicken breasts.
- Arrange the marinated chicken in a single layer in an ovenproof dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover with foil and cook in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until chicken is tender.
- The timing depends on the size of the chicken breasts and temperature of the sauce.
- Alongside the chicken, reheat the bacon in an uncovered roasting tray in the oven 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the bacon and parsley over the chicken to serve.