Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe was given to my Husband from our friend, who got it from her friend Clare. He had to beg for it! It is without a doubt the richest, most decadent and delicious cake I have ever tried. Kiss your low fat diet goodbye. It's easy to make and will impress any chocolate lover :)
- 1 (510 g) package devil's food cake mix
- 3 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix (1 package)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup melted butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a very large bowl stir together cake mix and pudding mix.
- Mix in sour cream, melted butter, eggs and almond extract, beat until well blended.
- Continue to beat for 4 minutes on medium speed, then blend in chocolate chips.
- Prepare a large bundt pan by greasing all the sides and then dusting with flour.
- Pour cake mixture into the pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or whenever a cake tester comes out clean.
- Baking times can vary with this recipe for some reason, so do keep an eye on it!
WOW! Loved this cake. My husband declared this was the best chocolate cake I had ever baked (and I have baked a lot!). I was looking for a new recipe for a friend's birthday. She loves chocolate. I changed the recipe some. I only used 1 cup sour cream. I used 1 cup dark chocolate pieces and 1 cup milk chocolate. This gave it that dark chocolate richness that most chocolate lovers love. I added 3/4 cup water because the batter was so dense using only 1 cup sour cream. With these changes it made it a very dense, moist cake. I also used Almond Emulsion instead of Almond abstract. It definitely had a hint of almond that was palatable. They all loved the hint of almond. I made a simple Chocolate Ganache for the icing. I glazed the sides and in between the (2) 9-inch round cakes. I whipped the rest of the Ganache and put on top of the cake. I put fresh raspberries on each plate with the cake. There were 9 - 40 something, very fit, health conscious women at this party. The cake got devoured!!!!
YUM! Made it for dessert tonight and we had pieces with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! I think I would even add some walnuts or pecans next time! Made for ZWT 8
We enjoyed this cake, however it wasn't as mind blowing as I was hoping. It wasn't extremely chocolaty. I would cut the sour cream to 1 cup if I did it again. I did end up putting chocolate ganache on top and that really stepped it up. I made cup cake and it took about 20-22 min to bake. Made for ZWT8