Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
from saveur, this is very tasty, and you can use mussels instead of the clams too. serve this with french bread to get every last drop.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 2 lbs manila clams or 2 lbs littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons capers, drained
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt fresh ground pepper, to taste
- in a large nonreactive skillet with a fitted lid melt butter over medium heat.
- add garlic and cook until soft and beginning to turn brown, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- increase heat to medium high and add vermouth and herbes de provence.
- bring to a boil, stirring often until reduced by half, aprox 3 minutes.
- add clams, cover and steam, shaking skillet occasionally until clams open, 5 minutes.
- discard the ones that don't open.
- remove the clams to 4 soup bowls, and return the skillet and liquid to stovetop.
- add cream, capers, mustard, stir and gently boil until sauce thickens enough to coat a spoon, 8 minutes.
- season to taste with salt and pepper, divide over clams, serve.