Recipe by chia
from saveur, this is very tasty, and you can use mussels instead of the clams too. serve this with french bread to get every last drop.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 2 lbs manila clams or 2 lbs littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons capers, drained
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large nonreactive skillet with a fitted lid melt butter over medium heat.
- add garlic and cook until soft and beginning to turn brown, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- increase heat to medium high and add vermouth and herbes de provence.
- bring to a boil, stirring often until reduced by half, aprox 3 minutes.
- add clams, cover and steam, shaking skillet occasionally until clams open, 5 minutes.
- discard the ones that don't open.
- remove the clams to 4 soup bowls, and return the skillet and liquid to stovetop.
- add cream, capers, mustard, stir and gently boil until sauce thickens enough to coat a spoon, 8 minutes.
- season to taste with salt and pepper, divide over clams, serve.