Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Canned clams baked in a cream sauce flavored with bacon, onion, celery, green pepper and cheddar cheese. Posted by request.
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 (6 1/2 ounce) cansof chopped clams, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F, grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Fry bacon in a saucepan until it starts to brown, add butter, celery, green pepper and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add flour and stir until blended.
- Add milk, increase heat to medium high.
- and stir constantly until thickened and smooth, adding a bit more milk if needed.
- Remove from heat, stir in salt, pepper, 1/2 cup of the cheese, eggs and clams.
- Pour into the casserole and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
I tried this recipe today. It was very easy to make But I thought there was too much cheese and butter. Next time I guess I will add a couple cups of rice, and a lot less cheese. Seemed like it is calling for it. I also added some hot sauce.