1 hr 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from the CIA. They know who you are and that you wield a knife with considerable skills :-).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 dozen chowder clams
- 2 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 slices bacon, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups heavy cream or 3 cups half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- oyster crackers or saltine crackers, as needed
- 1Scrub the clams well under running water. Shuck the clams, reserving the juices. Cut the larger clams in half. Mix the reserved juices with enough bottled clam juice to equal 3 cups.
- 2Cook the bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat until lightly crisp, about 7 minutes.
- 3Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4Whisk in the clam juice, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick, add more clam juice to adjust the consistency.
- 5Add the potatoes and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, place the clams and cream in a saucepan and simmer together until the clams are cooked, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 7When the potatoes are tender, add the clams and cream to the soup base. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in the sherry. Season to taste with salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcesteshire sauce. Serve in heated bowls with the crackers on the side.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Clam Chowder Hyde Park Style
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.2
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 611.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 14.4 g