Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A nice light and zesty cake using lemon and limes. You can use lemons or limes, or try using oranges. I made with lemons and limes, and thought it was very good! It takes a little work but is well worth the effort! From Sweet Maria's Cake Kitchen cookbook.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 2 limes, zest of, grated
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes, juice of
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour or line two 8 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter. Add sugar gradually and beat until light in color.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each adding each one. Add lemon and lime rind and lemon juice. Add yogurt and blend well.
- On low speed, add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pans. Spread batter evenly in pans.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out with a fine crumb.
- Remove from the oven. Pour lime juice over the hot cakes. Cool cakes in pans for 20 to 25 minutes. Carefully remove cakes from the pans and continue to cool on wire cooling racks. Cool completely. Remove and discard parchment.
- Dust with confectioners sugar or Confectioners Glaze.
- Confectioners Glaze: Using an electric mixer, blend sugar, lemon extract and water until blended. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Use a metal spatula to spread on the top of the cake. Place cake on a wire rack, set on clean parchment to allow for easy cleanup of excess icing. Use immediately or cover and store at room temperature for later use. Yield: enough to glaze the top of one 10-inch tube cake or 2 large loaves.