Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Dorie Greenspan, 'Baking: From My Kitchen to Yours'
Make and share this Citrus-Currant Sunshine Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- salt, a pinch
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup moist plump dried currant
- Center a rack in the oven; preheat oven to 375°.
- Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.
- Alternately, use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups.
- Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, rub the sugar and orange zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of orange is strong.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the orange and lemon juices, lemon extract, melted butter, and eggs.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend.
- Don't worry about being thorough--a few lumps are better than overmixing the batter.
- Fold in the currants.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.