Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A variation of TOH recipe. I think chef#1910636 suggestions are very appropriate so have edited the recipe accordingly.
- 1⁄2 lb Brussels sprout
- 1 lb carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- After washing brussels sprouts, remove any yellow or spotty leaves, cut ends off, and cut in half.
- Put brussels sprouts and carrots in frying pan with 3/4 inch of water (so veggies are in a single layer), cover, simmer for about 11 minutes or until veggies are done to your preferences and water is cooked off.
- Stir in butter, zest, parsley, salt, and hot pepper sauce, toss to coat, and serve.
Great carrots and Brussels sprouts. As written there are A LOT of carrots and few Brussels sprouts; I recommend that you adjust the ratio to your family's preference. The carrots tasted great without becoming overly sweet. The Brussels sprouts still tasted like Brussels sprouts, cooked perfectly. I wasn't so talented as to limit the water to 3/4-inch, but I drained off the extra water before Step 3, and all was well that ended well. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag.
A nice healthy vegetable dish. I did make a couple of changes based on ingredients on hand. The vegetables were prepared as directed with lemon zest being subbed for the orange. The dish was flavorful without a lot of added fat. A couple of shakes of hot sauce was all that I used. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
Really wonderful! I used a bit less water in the bottom of my skillet and put a lid on so that they steamed more than boiled. We were out of hot sauce (I discovered this after I started the recipe) but used all the other ingredients. Will try again with hot sauce for sure. I didn't bother to melt the butter but cut it into small bits with a knife and stirred it into the cooked veggies.