Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an awesome cake that hold fairly well without getting all weird and dry. It's very light and fluffy--serve it warm with some cracked pepper ice cream. It's also great with fruit compote, fruit or vanilla sauce, a vanilla rum sauce (yum).
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- In a food processor grind the nuts and 1/3 Celsius of the sugar until fine.
- In a bowl mix the nut/sugar mixture, milk, egg yolks, vanilla, flour, salt, and zest.
- Mix until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with salt until medium stiff, slowly add the remaining sugar and beat until stiff and glossy.
- Slowly fold the whites into the batter.
- Butter and flour cake pan then pour in batter.
- Bake at 400°F until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool pan slightly then unmold and allow to finish cooling prior to serving.