Recipe by Pa. Hiker
This makes a tasty desert that is simple enough to make for tonight, but good enough to share at a gathering. My family liked it so much I didn't have the time to make icing for it.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 12 tablespoons softened butter
- 3⁄8 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, heat the sour cream, honey, butter, soda, and salt-but do not boil. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast and the honey in the lukewarm water. Stir into the lukewarm mixture from Step 1.
- Add the beaten eggs and flour to the cooled mixture. Knead on a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a 16 x 16 inch square. Mix in the butter, honey, and cinnamon and spread on dough. Fold into thirds and cut into 16 1-inch strips. Twist each strip and lay on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Cover lightly and let rise in a warm spot for about an hour.
- Bake at 350'F for about 25 minutes.
- When they're done, they may be frosted with your favorite icing, If you like.