From Taste of Home. My Aunt has been making this for years. One of her sons requests it for his "Birthday Cake". It is wonderfully fragrant and yummy toasted with butter.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1 cup milk, warm (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, orange juice, sugar, shortening, peel and salt.
- Add 2 cups flour, yeast mixture and egg; mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into 15-in. x 7-in. rectangle.
- For filling, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangle. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon water.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short end. Seal edges.
- Place with sealed edge down in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spread over loaves.
Absolutely yummy bread!! I put dried cranberries and chopped pecans along with the sugar and cinnamon before rolling. Made great Christmas gifts! Thanks for the recipe!
Made this to include on my Thanksgiving table this year & it was a total success! And, although I'd intended to freeze one of the loaves, my son & DIL managed to get away with 2/3 of that second loaf, so . . . Absolutely great tasting, though I'll admit that I did use generous measures of the zest throughout the recipe! I'll certainly be making this again & again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag]
This recipe is AMAZING. It turned out perfectly. I will freeze one loaf and I can't wait to make some french toast out of it!